BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE - 4 - RULE OF ODDS

discuss photo-a-day projects
lynnh

BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE - 4 - RULE OF ODDS

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Back to Basics Informal Meet-up
Repeat after me: “I will not be a lazy photographer.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“The RULE OF ODDS suggests that an odd number of subjects in an image is more interesting than an even number. If you have more than one subject in your picture, the suggestion is to choose an arrangement with at least three subjects.

By framing the subject of interest with an even number of surrounding objects, it becomes an odd number of subjects and that is more comforting to the eye. No… it won’t work for a wedding shoot. :roll: But when possible, when you are composing a still life, shooting flowers or street photography, remember the rule of odds.”

Studies have shown that people are actually more at ease and comfort when viewing imagery with an odd number of subjects. Let’s see if that is true. :D

HERE IS AN INTERESTING PODCAST ABOUT THE RULE OF ODDS AND SHOWING EXAMPLES - http://theartofphotography.tv/episodes/ ... e-of-odds/
iF YOU DON'T CARE TO LEARN THE HISTORY, YOU CAN JUMP TO THE PHOTOS BY GOING HERE - http://www.pinterest.com/tedforbes/comp ... e-of-odds/

Your Assignment ~
Take One or Two photos using the RULE OF ODDS.

If you would like to discuss your experience, please do. We can learn from it.

Since this week’s challenge is composition oriented, it is okay to use a treatment or process your photos. But remember, our goal is to get our best shot through the camera and not the computer

Commenting - lets try to give support to one another and point out what we like about the resulting photo(s).

If you have criticism, keep it constructive and hide the comment.

Deadline to post for this assignment is Saturday, July 26th.
Last edited by lynnh on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

borisalex

Re: BACK TO BASICS WEEKLY CHALLENGE - WEEK 4

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Well... two croups of three! :D

lynnh

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Rule of Odds

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

john_lamb

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 am

lynnh

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:55 pm

I think this might quality. The photo didn't look right when I cropped the kayaks out. Wasn't sure if it was rule of ODDS or that the sailboat people are looking in that direction so something needs to be placed there.

jolka

Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 pm

I think this composition might apply to the subject :)

Flamenco dancer with two partners

borisalex

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Drei Blüten... :D

Board index PBase PaD Discussion BACK TO BASICS CHALLENGE - 4 - RULE OF ODDS