Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Lenses Question

Digital Cameras

Lenses Question

digismile

Lenses Question

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:01 am

Hi,

I just bought a Digital Rebel and also got the set of three lenses to go with it. The lenses are supposed to filter UV light for outdoor photos.

The question is:

Was it necessary to get the lenses. I understand the need for a filter with regualr film. But with a digital camera, I'm not sure that it really makes a difference. Also, I use Adobe Photoshop and can adjust lighting so the lenses may not be necessary. Does anybody have any comments or ideas about this?

shecodes

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:48 am

Even if you don't need them lighting purposes, they do one thing well - protect the main lense. It's a lot cheaper to replace a scratched up uv filter than a kit lense.

snafud2

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:34 pm

They will also stop sun spots or flares, cheapest best purchase you can made to protect your lense and improve your pictures
Snafu

snafud2

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:35 pm

They will also stop sun spots or flares, cheapest best purchase you can make to protect your lense and improve your pictures
Snafu

pstewart

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:38 pm

Are you referring to the 3-pack of filters containing UV, polarize, and fluorescent? I got those for my Rebel also. Always keep the UV on to protect the lens. The fluorescent is great for shooting in schools and offices etc...saves time correcting green color later in Photoshop. And a polarizing filter is wonderful for sunny days in the country...cuts white glare off leaves which makes trees look pale, darkens the sky, and gives a dramatic intensity to the picture. Packaged together, I found the price to be a real bargain!

bobtrips

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:33 pm

UV filters won't stop lens flare. They might reduce lens flare a bit, but I've never heard anyone state that before.

Lens flare can only be stopped by preventing bright light from hitting the lens at a narrow angle. Lens flare is prevented by lens hoods or holding something (hand, cap, piece of paper) between the lens and light source.

It's easier (I think) to set your camera's white balance for florescent light than to add a filter. In addition, the filter is going to somewhat reduce the usable light forcing you to use a wider aperture or slower shutter.

Lots of people use UVs for lens protection. One saved my 50/1.4 lens on an occasion.

And there is no way to correct for glare during editing that comes close to using a polarizing filter when shooting in bright light. That's the one filter that every outdoor photographer should have in her/his bag, IMO.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Lenses Question