Board index Equipment Film Cameras Low X-sync, it is a big limitation?

Film Cameras

Low X-sync, it is a big limitation?

mingzcan

Low X-sync, it is a big limitation?

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:37 am

Ok, so I wanted take advantage on a used film Nikon body and at the moment, a F80 seems like a great choice!

Everything looks good until I found out that the x-sync is only 1/125s, which is a little slow and I do work with monolighting.

I will probably use it outdoor with nature lighting majority of time, but do you find this slow sync a limitation for flash fill, so with a SB800? I would imagine so~ which suck, since I can get a used F80 quit cheap as compare to a F100~

Lights will guide you home,
And ignite your bones,
And I will try to fix you

jdepould

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:39 am

It all depends on what kind of film you're using. I had trouble with my N80 @ 1/200 using 200 speed film, it was very nearly overexposed, most of the shots were unusable. If you're using slower film, less than 100ASA, and can turn the lights down you should be able to shoot around it.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

wolfeye

It can be a drawback

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:55 am

Let's say you're outdoors on a sunny day. Your subject is backlit, but you step close to meter her face and see it come up as 1/500 at f8. ASA 400 film. Okay, you think some fill flash would be nice, so let's get to your flash sync speed... 1/250 at f11, 1/125 at f16. That's the setting you'd use. Lots of extra DOF. Is that what you wanted?

e6filmuser

Re: Low X-sync, it is a big limitation?

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:15 pm

mingzcan wrote:Everything looks good until I found out that the x-sync is only 1/125s, which is a little slow

I have never worked with X synch faster than 1/60 and my OM2n is 1/30. It won't make any difference to the lighting where flash by far dominates the lighting. Fill-in flash is another matter and is not possible with my cameras.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Low X-sync, it is a big limitation?