Board index Equipment Film Cameras Beginner Photographer.

Film Cameras

Beginner Photographer.

manchester89

Beginner Photographer.

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:50 pm

Hi,
I am hoping to start photography as a hobby. And I am hoping to purchase a camera (film). I have read through alot from the internet. Most of them said that the camera itself does not matter much, it is the lenses and lighting that matter the most. But some said it is the camera that is the most important. I was wondering if anyone can help me. As I really do not know what is more important. If lenses are more important, what kind of lenses will be suitable as afterall I am just starting. And if it is camera tht is important, than what kind of camera should I get. I have a budget of 350GBP=USD600.
I have offering me Canon EOS100, with Sigma 400mm Lens ( 150GBP), and Tamron 28-200 (100GBP). Can someone out there give me some advice on what is the best camera to buy and the best lens to come with. I am hoping to get one shot lens and a long one. (short= 28-80mm) (long= 400mm) Also I heard about something about the speed of the lens will also affect the picture quality. Can someone tell what is the function call? THANKS.

snappingturtle

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi,

To make it clear, when it comes to film cameras, the image quality really depends on the lens. The body depends on how fast and accurate your camera will be. You need to ask yourself if you need the speed and accuracy these cameras have, if not, then the lower end SLRs will suit you fine. You will just need to look at the lenses.

To put it more bluntly, the lense is the sole backbone of the image while the camera provides to motor to drive it.

In the long run, it is best to start with a single body and look for top quality lenses seperately. Do some research. From the stuff you mentioned on the bottom, they can be good (starter) equipment. Not a bad option too. They can produce some decent images that would satisfy most amatures. In terms of best buy, some look at the discontinued Canon EOS A2/5. It costs about as much as the new Rebel series, but the A2/5 was a proffesional camera at the time and is still beter than any rebel put up against it. The only drawback is that it still has the old TTL flash system instead of the up-to-date ETTL/ETTL II

Hugh

llung

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:12 pm

My flatmate got a used Canon Elan 7 for about 200 bucks - seems like a pretty decent camera, and plenty enough for a beginner. The only thing is that I would wonder how useful a 400mm prime will be...

installer

Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:34 pm

For learning, I'd suggest an all-manual, mechanical camera --- manual exposure, manual focus. Go to a good shop that sells used cameras, and look at Olympus OM-1s, Nikon FMs, Pentax K-1000s, Minolta SRT-201s, etc. Handle the cameras there and find out which feels good in your hands.

adrian_11

Post Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:57 pm

hey i was just wandering what the key factors are for getting the sharpest and best quality images. How to get those photos that seem to sparkle with colour and just grab you as being a very professional. Is it the camera, the film, the ISO?
thanks
adrian

snappingturtle

Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:22 pm

adrian_11 wrote:hey i was just wandering what the key factors are for getting the sharpest and best quality images. How to get those photos that seem to sparkle with colour and just grab you as being a very professional. Is it the camera, the film, the ISO?
thanks
adrian

It would require a little of everything. The rest is the photographer. The photographer must know the subject and what exposure to choose. This includes shutter speed and aperture. The shutter speed is essential to insure everything is tack sharp and not blurred. The aperture is to judge how much light is allowed in the lens and how many things in the picture do you want in focus. Last but not least is the lens. Some lenses like the expensive name brand lenses use super expensive optics to build saturation, sharpness and contrast. Filters are also used on the lens to achieve a certain color, or the photographer can handle it in photoshop. ISO matters the least. But the rule is the higher the ISO, the grainer the picture. When it comes to low light however, you really have no choice.

Hugh

henryt

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:46 am

You need a light meter..Meter incident light and not reflective.
The manual will explain all..oh..get one with flash meter if you plan to use
off cam flash.

installer

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:42 am

hey i was just wandering what the key factors are for getting the sharpest and best quality images. How to get those photos that seem to sparkle with colour and just grab you as being a very professional. Is it the camera, the film, the ISO?
thanks
adrian

I don't think you'd be disappointed in any SLR from one of the major manufacturers in terms of sharpness and quality. Color is mostly a factor of film and lighting. Kodachrome was the best, but is difficult to get processed these days. Fuji Provia and Velvia are great. Lighting is crucial for color. I prefer early morning. Get up before the sun does. Keep your eyes open to how the light changes during the day. Pay attention to how back lighting makes flowers and leaves glow. Train your eyes to notice the softness/harshness of lighting. Learn the uses of a polarizing filter, too.

As for the "just grab you" aspect, it's what you choose to put in the frame and, more importantly, what you choose to leave out of the frame. Pay attention to everything in the viewfinder, not just the thing you're focusing on. If something doesn't contibute to making your photo look good, leave it out. Change your position, adjust your zoom, or change your depth of field (open your aperture and adjust your exposure) to eliminate it from your picture. If you can't do it that way, crop the photo later.

jim_panzee

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:44 am

What no one has mentioned so far is, that one day you are going to upgrade, so it would be a good idea to think about the compatibility of the lenses you are buying now, for your replacement body, unless you want to sell the lot and start all over again. BTW if you buy Canon buy Canon lenses, same with Nikon Etc. Etc.

JimP.
JimP.

"So little time, so much to do, so many places to visit".

soincali

Agree with Installer!!! Go Manual first

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:14 pm

Started my film cameras with a full manual SRT201. I have never learned as much as with a manual (and I learn more each time I shoot). Along with that, learn the rules that apply to a manual i.e. the sunny 16 rule.. That way when all the digitals and electronic outfits fail... you are still good to go.....

Welcome to the photo world...

Steve Osterberg

installer

Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:11 pm

Amen to that! Full manual is definitely the best way to learn.

arachnophilia

Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:30 pm

installer wrote:Amen to that! Full manual is definitely the best way to learn.

now i can't use anything else!

to remove any popular myths, the camera *IS* important. it is not the most important, but it is part of what makes the image. technically, a film camera is just tiny portable darkroom. the important part is really how well you can control what it does. it's more user interface and ergonomics than anything else.

does it do what you want? does it do what you need? does it fit your hand? are the control where you need them? etc.

eclectic_eye

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:25 pm

I would say that any manual camera would do to start, then if you like photowork you can move up and you will have an Idea of the features you want.

K 1000. Pentax

Canon ae 1 , then decide what type of photography you are interested
in .

Landscape a wide angle Wildlife a tele . people a 70 to 210.

etc; use that lens until you know it inside out how it will perform.

get the shutter speeds checked and the light meter at any camera repair

shop then go shoot shoot shoot.

DO NOT get discouraged.

The m ore effort you put into photography the better. go for it good
luck. John.

santonu

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:12 am

I would say go to ebay and pick up a used canon AE-1 or pentax K-1000. You will generally get a 50mm and another one with the camera arond 60-70 bucks. And then start shooting till you get the hang of it. Once you know, what type of shooting you like, then you can go for further equipments. Don't spend a lot in the beginning.
My two cents.

SG

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Beginner Photographer.